Excellent visual comparison between macOS Catalina and Big Sur (see link below). Here are a few observations:
- Big Sur design is a step back in clrity in many areas. Ex.: Icons and segmented controls in top portion of windows.
- More padding around items lists. I’m not sure why. I prefer Catalina’s version.
- Dark Mode is slightly better looking in Big Sur.
- Battery panel in Settings is horrible.
- Gone are popup alerts at the top of windows, they now look to be centered within window content and movable. Catalina is better.
- Menu bar is translucide. Catalina is better too.
- Safari is much better looking in Big Sur.
- Notes is much improved in Big Sur.
- Big Sur icons shapre are much more uniform. Advantage to Big Sur here.
- Big Sur Side Bars in many apps like Maps is better looking too.
Who wins? Well, the jury is still out.