Thanks to all who replied to my question regarding Mastodon. What a great community over here! Never had this in fifteen years on Twitter. 😊
Here are a few takeaways (many may be obvious, duh!).
- Just like for emails, one cannot "reserve" a username in the Mastodon-friendly world. Makes sense.
- Registering with a specific instance (or server) is mandatory just like opening an account with an email provider.
- Using a custom domain that I own is something I should consider doing.
- I should probably go ahead with my custom domain name for Micro.blog before doing anything related to Mastodon.
- Setting my websites (I do have a few) to display my Mastodon username or profile is a good idea too.
- Setting my Mastodon profile to display my website is another good practice.
- Finding an instance I can relate to is probably the most daunting task if my research is any indication. I didn’t find any so far.
- I still don’t understand how a Micro.blog compatible Mastodon name is helping in any of this.
- Having a registered account on a Mastodon won’t do much for me. I already get everything I want on Micro.blog. People can follow me from their Mastodon instance, and I can, too, from Micro.blog.
- Thinking about all this on Christmas day shows that I don’t have a life! LOL
Anyway, happy holidays to you all! 👋